THE CRYSTAL PALACE
This section on the Crystal Palace, covers both the original Crystal Palace constructed in Hyde Park during 1850/51 for the Great Exhibition of 1851 and its subsequent decommission and the rebuild at Sydenham, which opened in 1854. Both the Crystal Palace itself, and The Crystal Palace Company, (established to manage the rebuild and operate the rebuilt structure), played an enormous role in the life of Harrison Weir. He in turn devoted many years of faithful service, to ensure that ventures there were publicly successful, but more importantly, that the venue and its management team, (in particular the Natural History Department), played its pivotal part in providing a suitable vehicle for the promotion of the relationship between man, birds and animals of varying kinds. This included his long standing working relationship and lasting friendship with Mr F.Wilson, and others.